Copper Snout cross dyke and building foundations (Alwinton)
This monument is the remains of a cross dyke and has two neighbouring rectangular buildings. The dyke runs across the narrowest point of a high ridge between two streams. It is made up by a 350m long earth bank with a parallel ditch on the north side. To the west it curves to the north-west. It does not run down to the bottom the slopes at either end. At the top of the ridge is a gap through which a branch of the medieval road known as Clennell Street runs. The two buildings are on the south side of the dyke, either side of the opening. In this area such dykes belong to the medieval period, but their precise function is not fully understood. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY, Air photography and the Archaeology of the Otterburn Training Area 1996|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Alwinton