Ford Colliery (Ford)
Ford Colliery was worked for coal from at least mid-17th century. It was first mentioned in documentary sources when the property passed from the Carr family. A 19th century account of the workings of the colliery relates that originally the old pit tapped the Scremerston seam, a stony coal, but later the same shaft was sunk to the main coal. A report later in the 19th century, when the marquis of Waterford came into the property records, '...the works were carried on after the fashion of pillar work. At this time there was a pit called Ben Oxley's Pitt...There was a water wheel...supplied by Ford Moss...The pillar work is now a drowned waste, but there is a barrier between the pillar work and the drowned waste of about 107 yards thick.' The coal lay in four seams and was wrought at Ford and Etal. The colliery engine house chimney is a Grade II Listed Building protected by law. It is built of stone and brick with a square stone base and a round brick chimney. Other colliery buildings have been demolished, but the foundations can still be seen of the miner's cottages and other buildings. The colliery is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)|
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
Scheduled Ancient Monument
|Event(s):||TOPOGRAPHIC SURVEY, Ford Moss Colliery, Ford Village 2010; Pre-Construct Archaeology|
DESK BASED ASSESSMENT, Ford Moss Colliery, Ford Village 2010; Pre-Construct Archaeology
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Ford
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.