Ford Deserted Village (Ford)
In the mid 18th century the old village of Ford lay on the highway which ran between the Parson's Tower, and the west side of the Castle, past Ford Cottage towards Ford Bridge. All that remains now is the village well, some slight ground disturbance and an occasional stone marking the area that was once a village. At NT 943375 is a deep hollow way, marking a former route. Here, pottery from the period between about 1250 and 1800 was recovered from earth during field drain excavations. An 18th century map of Ford Castle shows the old village as a street village extending from NT 942374 to NT 946374, an area now covered by landscaped gardens and parkland. Ford was a member of the barony of Muschamp (Wooler); held by Odinel de Ford in 1242. We know from old documents that in 1296, eight taxpayers lived there in addition to people who did not pay taxes. Between 1312 and 1313, nine taxpayers lived there. The 1377 Poll Tax accounts listed 64 adults in the village. A vain attempt to set up a market was made in the 14th century. The modern landscape around Ford originates in the late 18th century. The village west of the castle and the church had been removed by 1828. The present planned village was built around 1861.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Event(s):||DESK BASED ASSESSMENT, Ford Castle fire hydrant works 2009; Bernicia Archaeology|
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Ford
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.