Keys to the Past

Parson's Tower (Ford)

Ruins of the Parson's Tower, Ford. Photo by Peter Ryder.
Ruins of the Parson's Tower, Ford. Photo by Peter Ryder.

The remains of Parson's Tower stand alone in a field south west of Ford Castle and north-west of the parish church. Only the basement survives with 2m thick walls. The date of the tower is not known, but it was mentioned in a document dating to 1541 as a `lytle tower which was the mansion of the parsonage'. By 1663 the parson's house was described as `totally demolished' and a new rectory was built later at the north-west corner of the churchyard. This in turn was pulled down around 1878. The entrance to the tower was originally in the centre of the east wall, through a lobby with both inner and outer doorways and a stair within the wall leading off to the north. Both inner and outer doorways have been largely cut away, but the archway to the stair can still be seen. A number of masons marks can be seen in the barrel vaulted basement. Sites like this are often referred to as vicar's peles and other examples can be seen at the Vicar's Pele at Corbridge and the Vicar's Pele at Ponteland.This site is a Scheduled Monument and Grade II Listed Building protected by law.

Reference number:N1813
Historical period: Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
Scheduled Ancient Monument
Event(s):DESK BASED ASSESSMENT, Ford Castle fire hydrant works 2009; Bernicia Archaeology

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Ford


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.