Wooler Tower (Wooler)
This is the remains of an early 16th century fortified tower, standing on a prominent mound. There are steep slopes on the north and east, where it falls to Wooler Water. The tower survives as three large blocks of masonry. A block lying near a modern war memorial is a section of the corner of the tower. To the east are the remains of an earthwork platform The tower was first mentioned in 1509 and may have been part of a chain of defences built to defend against Scottish raids. This is a Scheduled Monument protected by law.
|Historical period:||Medieval (1066 to 1540)|
|Legal status:||Scheduled Ancient Monument|
|Event(s):||DESK BASED ASSESSMENT, Development at 27-33 High Street, Wooler. Desk-based Archaeological Assessment 2005; Alan Williams Archaeology|
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Wooler