Keys to the Past

Bedlington Ironworks (Blyth)

The site of Bedlington Ironworks.
Photo by Harry Rowland.
The site of Bedlington Ironworks. Photo by Harry Rowland.

The remains of an 18th and 19th century ironworks site lie by the River Blyth at Bedlington. Bedlington Ironworks was founded in 1736 and ironworking was carried out on both banks of the river for over 140 years. The most notable phase in the history of the Bedlington Iron and Engine Works was in the 19th century. At that time it played an important part in the development of the early railways through the invention of malleable rails. The rails were patented in December 1820. Locomotive works were begun in 1836 on the Blyth side of the river and closed in 1855. Two furnaces were built on the north bank in about 1820, but they were not in use for long and fell into disuse. The works were at their peak in 1850 producing rails and forgings for the Crimean War effort. Finished products were sent down river in keels and shipped at Blyth. The works were finally abandoned in 1867 although the last remains were not finally cleared away until the 1950s when the park was created. Despite this, a few features can still be seen in the park.

Reference number:N11769
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Event(s):DESK BASED ASSESSMENT, Proposed regeneration of riverside path at Bedlington 1998; THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL PRACTICE

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Blyth


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.