War Memorial Cenotaph, Murton (Murton)
The monument is roughly 12ft high, constructed of Aberdeen granite and standing on two steps, the upper of which is surmounted by dwarf pillars linked by chains creating a small enclosure around the base. The front face is decorated with a bronze sword and wreath underneath swags and shields bearing St. George's Cross, carved in half relief on the upper section. Dedications to the memory of those who served and fell in two World Wars are found on the lower sections of the front face. First World War names are carried on the main panels of the side faces (in two columns) and rear face (in four columns). WW2 names are found on the side and rear faces of the lower pedestal section. Recorded as being unveiled in appalling weather in 1922, this war memorial is situated on the village green south of Gregson Terrace (1-3).
The memorial was unveiled by William Mcnally, a resident of the village who served in the Great War and was awarded the Victoria Cross. Upon his death a memorial plaque was erected within the same paved area of the village green.
It is documented that this is a replica of the Cenotaph in Whitehall but on a smaller scale, perhaps the only replica in the country (1).
|Historical period:||Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Murton
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.