Keys to the Past

War Memorial Cross, Sacriston Lane, Witton Gilbert (Witton Gilbert)

Stone cross on a tall, tapering, octagonal shaft on a decorative base and pedestal, standing on two shallow steps. The whole is set on a small brick-paved area with flower borders on a grassy island between Sacriston Road and Briar Lea, opposite the junction of Green Lea with Briar Lea. Originally unveiled in 1922 in Witton Dene, a small wooded valley south of the main street through the village, but was moved to this location in 1978 after vandalism and the "pilfering of flowers" from the associated flower borders. Quotation spread around all eight faces of a narrow block of stone between the shaft base and the main pedestal: "Greater / love / hath / no man / than to / lay down / his life for / his friend". Main dedication carried on one face of the main pedestal: "Witton Gilbert War Memorial / Roll of Honour / of local heroes who died / for their King and Country / during the Great War / for righteousness". 43 First World War names and 10 for WW2 listed in two columns on the three remaining faces of the pedestal. (1-2)

Reference number:D49856
Historical period: Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Late 20th Century (1967 to 2000)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Witton Gilbert


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.