Keys to the Past

War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church, Stanhope (Stanhope)

Close up photograph of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church 2016
Close up photograph of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church 2016

Photograph of base of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church 2016
Photograph of base of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church 2016

Photograph of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church, Stanhope 2016
Photograph of War Memorial Cross, St. Thomas' Church, Stanhope 2016

Stone cross on square pedestal set on two steps within the southern church wall, facing Market Place. Front face of the cross is decorated with raised block panels on the shaft and arms of the cross with a central square boss and crenellated decoration linking the arms at the junctions forming a wheel-type cross of sorts. First World War dedication is carried on a raised horizontal panel at the top of the pedestal: "To the Glory of God, and in memory of / those from the ecclesiastical parish of Stanhope / who gave their lives in the Great War / 1914-1918". Names are listed in single columns on two raised vertical panels beneath the dedication on the front face of the pedestal. Propped against and attached to the front risers of the two lower steps is a slab bearing the dedication and names for the Second World War with the addition of one name for the Iraq conflict. Originally unveiled 1922. (1-2)

Reference number:D49691
Historical period: Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1231956



See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Stanhope


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.