Holy Trinity Church, South side of Front Street, South Hetton (South Hetton)
Holy Trinity Church first appears on the first edition Ordnance Survey maps of the 1860's (1) and then appearing as a larger building on the second edition OS map (2) with a footprint very similar in size and shape to the present day building. Aerial photographs (3) and streetview images (4) show that the church is stone built with a shallow pitched roof and two projected porches on the north west facing wall of the aisleless nave. In 1988 the church was extended to include the adjacent hall, kitchen and toilet facilities (5). These additions are joint to the church through the original southern porch, which itself is attached to a portion of the church at the south end that has a lower roofline than the nave gable that it is attached to. Southern nave gable is surmounted by a short open belfry with gabled top whilst the other apexes of the church roof are topped with stone cross finials. Northeast facing gable is dominated by a large pointed-arch window of three lights with upper rose window. The church is known to contain a number of features dedicated as war memorials. A war memorial cross is also located on the exterior of the church along the north east gable (6-7).
|Historical period:||Victorian (1837 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of South Hetton
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.