War Memorial Cross and Slab, Durham Road, Leadgate (Leadgate)
Grey rough-hewn granite cross with decorative Celtic patterns on the front face of the encircled head. Lower front face of the tapering cross shaft has been smoothed in order to carry a dedication: "To the glory of God / and in memory of / the following men / of the Urban Area / of Leadgate / who fell in the war of / 1914-1918". The cross sits on a tapering two-tiered pedestal with single step below. The whole is located on Durham Road in the village centre, in a rectangular island garden with surrounding low kerb and decorative iron railings. The First World War names are carried in two columns on a panel attached to the front face of the upper tier of the pedestal, and in single columns on panels on the sides of the pedestal. The sides of the lower tier of the pedestal also carry names whilst the front face of the lower pedestal carries a quotation. Originally unveiled in 1921. Within the same garden and just to the rear of the cross, is a standing granite slab with a dedication and names belonging to men of the village who were killed in WW2. This was erected at the same time the WW1 memorial was cleaned in 2007. (1-2)
|Historical period:||Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1438942
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.