Keys to the Past

War Memorial Monument at the Front Street/Quebec Street junction, Langley Park (Langley Park)

Oblique back view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique back view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique close up back view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique close up back view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique front view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique front view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique close up front view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique close up front view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique closer in side view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique closer in side view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique side view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique side view of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique view from across road of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique view from across road of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Oblique zoomed in view from across road of Langley Park War Memorial 2016
Oblique zoomed in view from across road of Langley Park War Memorial 2016

Tall pink/brown granite structure at the roadside within a small railed garden, on the western side of the junction across the road from the Baptist Chapel. The monument takes the form of a square-tiered stack with decorative ornamental round columns and mouldings at each corner. The top of the memorial is surmounted by a small dome on which is an encircled cross with trefoil ends to each arm. The dedication is carried on one of the lower panels: "This monument was erected / by the inhabitants of / Langley Park / to the everlasting memory / of the men of this village / who nobly sacrificed their / lives, for the cause of / Right, Liberty, Justice and / Freedom in the Great European War". First World War names are carried on the four faces of the upper panels, whilst names and dates for the Second World War and later conflicts (including Korea and N. Ireland) are found on the three remaining lower panels. Unveiled 1921, with subsequent additions. (1-2)

Reference number:D49396
Historical period: Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1438924

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.