Keys to the Past

Garden of Remembrance War Memorial, Burnhope (Burnhope)

This memorial garden was unveiled in 1920 and is located on the north side of Holmside Lane just to the south east of the Methodist Church. The memorial is roughly square in shape, block paved, with low metal railings fronting onto the road, low walls to the sides and a three sided brick-built structure with pitched roof and raised platform enclosing the park to the rear. There is a gate/archway through the centre of the back wall of the park allowing access to the Methodist Church, this has a granite cross over the top inscribed '1919 - To the Glorious Dead'. To the left and right of the archway are four alcoves (two on each side) with benches underneath plaques dedicated to the war dead of various conflicts, including the First World War and WW2. Plaques also adorn the interior faces of the columns between the alcoves. Four further alcoves are located in the left and right wings of the structure (again two on each side) with the same bench/plaque arrangement. The centre of the block-paved area is the garden itself, square in shape with entrance between two squat square bushes, flower borders surround a central kerbed square containing a gravelled area with memorial bird bath, inscribed on all four faces. (1-2)

Reference number:D48912
Historical period: Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.