Keys to the Past

War Memorial Cross, St. Brandon's Churchyard, Brancepeth (Brancepeth)

Oblique view of back and right faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016
Oblique view of back and right faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016

Second oblique view of back and right faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016
Second oblique view of back and right faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016

Oblique view of back face of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016
Oblique view of back face of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016

Oblique view of back and left faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016
Oblique view of back and left faces of Brancepeth War Memorial May 2016

This war memorial takes the form of an ornate cross on a slim octagonal column. The column stands on a squared pedestal with butressed corners on two tapering steps. The entire memorial stands on a base of three steps. The dedication is carried on the front face of the main pedestal whilst the names are carried in single columns on the other sides, First World War on the left and right, WW2 on the rear face. It is located close to the porch of the church and was unveiled and dedicated in 1921. (1-2)

Reference number:D48887
Historical period: Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1433731

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Brancepeth


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.