Keys to the Past

St. James' Church, Hamsterley (Hamsterley)

Church of St James, Hamsterley (c2000) © DCC 2000
Church of St James, Hamsterley (c2000) © DCC 2000

Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000
Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000

Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000
Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000

Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000
Church of St James (c2000) © DCC 2000

Grave Cover & Effigy at Church of St James  © DCC 2004
Grave Cover & Effigy at Church of St James © DCC 2004

Parish church. Mostly C13, incorporating C12 door; slightly later north transept; C19 alterations (fragments in porch dated 1883) including restoration of roof; panel over door 'Restored in 60th year. Rev. J.G. Milner 1884'.

Mixed stone rubble, much of it coarse sandstone, with gritstone quoins, ashlar dressings, and plinth to transepts; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Cruciform with south porch. Gabled porch has open wide-chamfered pointed arch on moulded imposts and irregular-block jambs. Early boarded inner door, with strap hinges, in wide-chamfered round-headed surround under dripmould continuous with impost blocks; half-pyramid chamfer stops. Sundial dated 1803, and panel referring to 1884 restoration, in porch gable peak. Small cross- incised grave cover as quoin in porch and 2 others as side bench; 2 others, edges to outside, in chancel quoins. Priest's door in east wall of south transept with incised grave slab as lintel. Protruding from west wall of south transept a raised incised cross grave cover and a female effigy. Lancets, partly restored, including 3 stepped east lights, except for large pointed- arched north transept window of 3 elongated cusped lancets under head- stopped dripmould, 3-light late C19 window in south nave, and single rectangular chamfered west light under corbelled embattled bellcote.

Interior: limewashed plaster-with ashlar dressings; arch-braced chancel roof on corbelled wall posts; nave and transepts have stone-corbelled tie beams with 4 posts to collar. 2-centred chancel arch on nutmeg-moulded imposts, and wide 2-centred transept arches, all chamfered, the north arch renewed. Internal quoins at north-east angle of nave. Chancel has blocked north window with trefoil head; similar heads to south transept windows. Trefoil-headed piscina with nail-head moulding, and fluted bowl; similar modern piscina in transept; aumbries in chancel and south transept. Several medieval incised grave covers set in wall plaster. Bowl font an roll-moulded pedestal. East window by L.C. Evetts. Part of box pew surviving in north transept. Gothic- style pulpit, c. 1880, with panels formed by Minton tiles, signed Moyr Smith, showing scenes from Bible and from Pilgrims Progress. Funeral hatchment in nave.

The church contains a number of features dedicated as war memorials (1).

Reference number:D37580
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1322777

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Hamsterley


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.