Keys to the Past

St. James' Church, Hunstanworth (Hunstanworth)

Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004
Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004

Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2002
Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2002

Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004
Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004

Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004
Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004

Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004
Church of St James, Hunstanworth 2004

Parish church; 1862-3 rebuilding, by S.S. Teulon for Rev. Daniel Capper of Newbiggin, of 1781 church on medieval site. Snecked sandstone of varied colours and pale ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; diaper-patterned roof of purple and green slates with roll-moulded ridge-tiles and stone gable copings. Nave with north aisle, north-west tower and stair turret and south porch; apsed chancel with north vestry. 6-bay nave has porch in first bay; buttressed fifth bay projects slightly; buttressed narrow sixth bay. Lower chancel with 5 windows.

Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in double-chamfered 2-centred arch; side buttresses and curved kneelers under gable with stone cross finial. 3 small lancets in return walls of porch. Plate tracery in 4-light nave and 3-light aisle west windows; and in other windows, of 2 lights except for group of 3 in fifth and 2 in sixth nave bays, the fifth with central gabled canopy. Roundels in west bays of chancel. Tower has one high stage, with 3-light north window, and lancet slits in second stage, under string and 3 cusped belfry openings. Round stair turret with conical roof, on north-east corner. Pyramidal tower roof with peacock wind-vane; steeply-pitched nave roof with finials, and angelus cross; slightly lower chancel roof rounded over apse. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced collar-truss nave roof, with upper king posts, struts and 2 levels of purlins with wind braces. Closely-set scissor trusses in chancel. 3-bay north arcade, tower, chancel and sanctuary arches all 2-centred and chamfered; round piers. Chancel has north arcaded frieze; south arched recess for priest's chair. Stone pulpit and side steps under paired arches, in rudimentary transept. Round stone pedestal font on octagonal plinth continuous with west shaft of arcade. Glass mostly original clear and coloured geometrical; 2 windows commemorating Edward and John Joicey, died 1879 and 1881, by Kempe; chancel windows have geometrical patterns with pictorial panels. Gothic painted-and-carved chamber organ by Gray and Davison, Euston Road, London, said to have been shown in 1851. Exhibition at Crystal Palace. Other original fittings include doors with high- quality iron work, wood altar (now brought forward) and communion rail.

Contains a carved alabaster war memorial panel on west the wall in low relief, inscribed: "We thank thee/LORD/for bringing back/our soldiers/safely home/1914-1918". Hunstanworth is one of only 51 villages in the UK known as a Thankful Village owing to the fact that all inhabitants of the village who served in the First World War returned home safely (1-2).

Reference number:D37003
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1229537

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Hunstanworth


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.