Keys to the Past

St. Philip & St. James' Church, Witton-le-Wear (Witton-le-Wear)

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear 2005
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear 2005

St Philip & St James 2005
St Philip & St James 2005

St Philip & St James 2005
St Philip & St James 2005

St Philip & St James 2005
St Philip & St James 2005

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear © DCC 16.11.2009
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear © DCC 16.11.2009

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, view of porch 2016
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, view of porch 2016

St Philip & St James, west front, Witton-le-Wear 2016
St Philip & St James, west front, Witton-le-Wear 2016

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, side view 2016
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, side view 2016

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, window 2017
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, window 2017

St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, drainpipe 2017
St Philip & St James, Witton-le-Wear, drainpipe 2017

Parish church. 1896-1902 rebuilding of medieval church by C. Hodgson Fowler. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof of plain tiles has stone gable copings, cross finials and bellcote. Porch roof of Welsh slates. Nave, north aisle and south porch; chancel and north vestry. Open 2-centred arch with hollow-moulded broach-stopped reveal contains moulded arch on half-octagonal shafts. Perpendicular tracery in 3-light window to left of porch and two 2-light windows to right; 3-light and 2-light chancel windows also traceried; all square-headed. 2-centred-arched paired 2-light west windows separated by large buttress and 3-light east window on stepped string with drip-mould; 2-light aisle windows. Roof with overlapping nave gable copings and flat chancel gable coping on gabled kneelers; west gabled bellcote.

Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; nave has king-post barrel-vaulted boarded roof; chancel has painted wood barrel vault. 3-bay arcade has double-chamfered C13 arches on round piers with octagonal capitals; high square plinths inserted to accommodate change in floor level. Circa 1900 chancel arch with Tudor flowers on outer chamfer; battlemented capitals on hollow-chamfered half- columns. Similar chamfers to 2-centred organ chamber and vestry door. Tiled sanctuary floor. Low segmental arches, rere arches and alternate-block jambs to north and south windows; 2-centred rere arch to east and west windows. C19 Frosterley marble octagonal font. Gothic-style memorial in stone on north chancel wall to Rev. George Newby, died 1846, signed W.D. Keyworth, Hull. White marble memorial slab on south chancel wall to Elizabeth Jane Wilkinson of Harperley Hall, died 1842, with 2 stanzas of verse. Windows, most said to have been designed by Rev. Hodgson, include portraits of donors; one has Hodgson and his wife with house and church in background. Medieval grave slabs set in porch: one a cross on triangular base;one half-slab a leafy cross; one with 2 crosses and sword and shears.

Known to contain a number of features dedicated as war memorials (1-2).

Reference number:D36960
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1229016

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Witton-le-Wear
Local History of Witton-le-Wear


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.