Keys to the Past

Church of St. Mary, Front Street, Cockfield (Cockfield)

Church of St. Mary   © DCC 2002
Church of St. Mary © DCC 2002

Church of St. Mary   © DCC 2002
Church of St. Mary © DCC 2002

Parish church. C13 with C19 and C20 additions on north aisle, large west extension, small east extension, and south porch. Sandstone, the medieval rubble and the modern snecked, with plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; roof grey Lakeland slates with graduated green slates on chancel; stone gable copings. 7-bay nave with north aisle continuous as organ chamber to chancel, and south porch; 4-bay chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled porch has double boarded doors in chamfered surround with dripmould; 3 closely-set lancets to east and 3 more widely spaced modern lancets to west of porch. Lower chancel has blocked priest's door at west, with continuous impost and dripmould, and chamfered rectangular low side windows to left of door; 4 irregular lancets, the 2 eastern ones inserted. East front re-built with 3 lancets with renewed heads and irregular block surrounds. West front has paired nave lancets under vesica and gabled bellcote with paired arches; buttress between nave and aisle, which has 3 stepped lancets under gable. North aisle has door and group of 5 lancets, and low arched vault recess. Gabled vestry. Steeply-pitched roofs with stone cross finials.

Interior: rubble with ashlar dressings; plaster in chancel. Modern crown- post nave roof; panelled chancel roof. Chamfered C13 chancel arch of 2 orders with pyramid stops above and below impost string; double-chamfered arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Double-chamfered external face of south door with drip mould on impost string and half-octagonal shafts. Trefoil heads to lancets, the medieval with squared corners. Roll-moulded piscina with carved bowl; 2 square-headed piscinas (in south nave wall, with projecting bowl and altered in aisle wall). Octagonal medieval font on square pedestal with broach-stopped chamfers, C17 pew backs, with widely-spaced balusters, re-used as dado on west and south walls and behind lectern. Monuments include inscribed panel to Thomas and Hannah Watson, died 1713 and 1696, in corniced frame with coat of arms in scrolled pediment,to north of chancel arch; medieval effigy and incised grave covers in chancel; 6 other medieval grave slabs set in north aisle and in south porch. High quality rood screen is memorial to 2nd Lieut. H.W. Summerson, died 1918; low-relief panel of kneeling soldier; Gothic tracery (1).

Reference number:D36546
Historical period: Stuart (1603 to 1714)
Georgian (1714 to 1830)
Victorian (1837 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1121827

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Cockfield


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.