Keys to the Past

St. Andrew's Church, Church Bank, Stanley (formerly Beamish Parish Church) (Stanley)

St Andrews Church, Church Bank © DCC 04.11.2009
St Andrews Church, Church Bank © DCC 04.11.2009

St Andrews Church, Church Bank © DCC 04.11.2009
St Andrews Church, Church Bank © DCC 04.11.2009

Photograph of cross in front of St. Andrew's Church 2016
Photograph of cross in front of St. Andrew's Church 2016

Close up photograph of cross in front of St. Andrew's Church 2016
Close up photograph of cross in front of St. Andrew's Church 2016

Road view photograph St. Andrew's Church 2016
Road view photograph St. Andrew's Church 2016

Church. 1876-7, tower added 1931. Designed by J G Holt of Manchester. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with ashlar coped gables. Original chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch with tower added over chancel with organ chamber and vestry added either side. Chamfered plinth and continuous sill band. West front has large 4-light pointed arch window to nave with lattice tracery and small roundel above. West end of north aisle has slightly set back narrower gable to left with between an octagonal bellcote which projects with open octagonal arcaded lantern topped with octagonal stone spire. Below slightly projecting doorway with pointed arched opening with deeply set narrow pointed doorway, and 2-light deeply set window with geometrical tracery . North aisle has three 3-light pointed arch windows with geometric tracery , projecting later organ loft beyond has single 3-light window with perpendicular tracery. South side has projecting gabled porch to west with diagonal buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and finial. To right 2 pairs and a single 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery. Projecting vestry to east has similar 3-light window. Massive square west tower with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret attached to centre of south face. East face has large 5-1ight pointed arch window with reticulated tracery and above a tiny niche. Bell stage has 3 flat headed louvred openings and a clock to each face. Above stepped battlements with decorative arcading, topped with thin octagonal stone spire. INTERIOR has 4 bay nave arcade to north with double chamfered arches and cluster columns with stiffleaf capitals, and single similar arch beyond to choir. Panelled wooden roof with curved arch trusses, chancel has flat wooden roof. Original wooden pews, octagonal stone font with wooden cover, ornate octagonal wooden pulpit on stone base. Fine wooden choir screen with broad central arch and 3 narrower flanking arches. Wooden choir stalls, altar rail and reredos. East bell tower has steel bell frame with brass bells and reinforced concrete spire. (1)

Church is known to contain a number of features dedicated as war memorials (2-3).

Reference number:D36347
Historical period: Victorian (1837 to 1901)
Early 20th Century (1901 to 1932)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1323689



See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Stanley


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.