St. Paul's Church, St. Paul's Terrace, West Pelton (West Pelton)
Parish church. 1879 by Austin, Johnson and Hicks of Newcastle for patrons John and Edward Joicey. Dressed sandstone and graduated green slate roofs. Continuous, aisleless nave and chancel; north and south transepts; south porch on nave; 2 north vestries on chancel; extruded bell tower with spire between chancel and south transept. Austere Perpendicular style.
4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel under continuous roof. Chancel taller than nave owing to slope of ground. Chamfered plinth and sill bands. Windows with leaded panes, iron glazing bars and cusped trefoil-headed lights. Nave: tall pointed 4-light west window; 2 square-headed 4-light windows on north and south; pointed south doorway in porch. Chancel windows set high: 3 and 2-light square- headed windows on south; pointed 3-light window on angle-buttressed east end. Steeply-pitched roof carried down at west end of nave to form pent roof of wide porch. Porch has carved wood screen with shaped bench-ends and 3-centred arch. Lower twin-gabled and angle-buttressed transepts; each with two 3-light pointed windows under hoodmoulds. Gabled choir vestry has Tudor-arched doorway and 2-light mullioned window. Vicar's vestry to east has 5-light mullioned window and a pent roof carried directly down from the chancel roof. Tall and slender, octagonal-plan bell tower on square base: 2 stages plus belfry and spire; belfry has square-headed 2-light openings and an embattled parapet; short octagonal-plan stone spire.
Plain and plastered interior. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch dying into wall. 2-bay arcades, with similar arches and central octagonal piers, divide transepts from nave. Panelled chancel with mosaic sanctuary floor. 1892 east window by C.E. Kempe of London. Compartmented barrel roofs to nave and chancel.
Contains a number of features dedicated as war memorials (1-2).
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
20th Century (1901 to 2000)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1159301
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.