St. John the Evangelist's Church, Blandford Place, Seaham (Seaham)
Church of St John the Evangelist © DCC 2002
Photograph of St. John the Evangelist's Church 2016
Photograph from road of St. John the Evangelist's Church 2016
Parish church. 1835-40 by Thomas Prosser, north aisle added 1860, choir and vicar's vestries added by R.J.Johnson in 1885-6. Dressed limestone with sandstone dressings and moderate-pitched graduated Welsh slate roofs. West tower, aisleless nave and chancel, north aisle, north choir and vicar's vestries. Perpendicular style. Windows have mainly rectilinear tracery with trefoil-headed lights, chamfered reveals, hoodmoulds and alternating jambs.
2-stage west tower has chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses; doorway in south wall under 4-centred-arched head; 3-light ground-floor window in west wall; belfry stage above string course has four louvred openings of 2 lights with pointed heads partly hidden by clock faces; slightly projecting battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. South wall of wide 3-bay nave has chamfered plinth and diagonally- buttressed corners with 2 stepped buttresses between bays; 2-light square-headed windows; low parapet with chamfered and roll-moulded coping. Canted porch in south wall at junction of nave and chancel has doorway with pointed-arched head and small lancet above. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with chamfered plinth and low parapet has two 2-light windows, set high in south wall, with square heads and a stepped buttress between; diagonally-buttressed east end has tall 3-light window with pointed head and string courses above and below. Single-storey, gabled vicar's vestry attached to north of chancel has low 4-light window with square head. 2-storey choir vestry has similar fenestration and door under pointed-arched head. Tall, 4-bay north aisle has double-chamfered plinth, chamfered sill band and four 2-light windows with square heads; gabled returns have chamfered coping and kneelers; steeply-pitched roof.
Interior: Nave has first floor gallery at west end and 3 ranks of C19 pews; panelled roof; north aisle arcade has 4 double-chamfered pointed arches on circular piers. Chancel: 2 steps up to 4-centred, hollow-chamfered chancel arch; roof has 4 hammerbeam trusses with cambered collars. Elaborate stucco and marble monument to 3rd. Marquess of Londonderry, died 1854, has Gothick details and stands against south wall of chancel.
The church contains a number of features dedicated as war memorials (2-3).
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1277262
Source of Reference
Local History of Seaham
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.