Keys to the Past

St. Mary's Church, Hall Walks, Easington (Easington)

Church of St Mary © DCC 2000
Church of St Mary © DCC 2000

Photograph of St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of windows to side of St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016
Photograph of windows to side of St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016

Photograph of back of St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of back of St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of cross at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of cross at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of North side sign at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of North side sign at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of Saxon Cross sign at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of Saxon Cross sign at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of South side sign at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of South side sign at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016
Photograph of St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016

Photograph of warning sign at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of warning sign at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of wall and window at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of wall and window at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of door at St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016
Photograph of door at St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016

Photograph of tower at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of tower at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of side of St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of side of St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of pipe at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of pipe at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of arched windows at St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016
Photograph of arched windows at St. Mary's Church, Easington 2016

Photograph of windows at back of St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of windows at back of St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of door at side of St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of door at side of St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of square window at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of square window at St. Mary's Church 2016

Photograph of square window and pipe at St. Mary's Church 2016
Photograph of square window and pipe at St. Mary's Church 2016

Parish church. Romanesque tower, remainder of church early C13. Extensive restoration in 1853 by P.C. Hardwick. Sandstone and limestone rubble masonry. Steeply-pitched green slate roof. Square west tower, aisled nave, chancel and north chapel. Long, low proportions.

4-stage west tower defined by bands. Fragment of Cl0-11 grave slab in base of west wall. Romanesque masonry up to and including corbel table. 2 round-arched openings and later battlemented parapet. 2 massive C14 diagonal buttresses. Pointed doorway of 1853 in south wall.

West ends of aisles have single lancets and buttresses added to support tower arch. C19 aisle windows, mainly in Perpendicular style but some Geometrical, have original rear-arches; similar C19 windows in chancel and 5 stepped lancets at east end with quatrefoil above. East aisle return has original 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. Nave clerestory has 4 small, irregularly-spaced lancets. North aisle and clerestory similar.

Chancel has double-chamfered plinth and, except for north wall, was rebuilt in 1853 using original materials. 3 bays divided by pilaster buttresses; east end has clasping buttresses. South wall has 2-light low-side window with Y-tracery under pointed hoodmould. 2-bay north chapel has 2-light lancets with Y-tracery.

Interior: early Romanesque double-chamfered tower arch. Double-chamfered pointed nave arcades with hoodmoulds and carved stops. Keeled east and west responds. 3 columns alternating round and octagonal, order reversed between north and south aisles. Bases and capitals follow plan of columns: octagonal columns have waterholding bases and capitals with nailhead decoration; 2 of the round columns have leafy capitals. Mid C19 arch-braced crown-post roof has embattled tie-beams. 2 steps up to wide double-chamfered chancel arch on semi-octagonal moulded corbels. East end has detached shafts of Frosterly marble between lancets; flanking blank niches. Barrelled chancel roof.

Furnishings: 48 mid C17 pew ends with deep relief carving and poppyheads in the style of Bishop Cosin's craftsmen. Chancel screen has some mid C17 traceried panelling. Reredos largely mid C17 has carved panels and a crocketed canopy. C19 font on probably medieval moulded base and stepped round plinth.

Monuments: Well-preserved C14 recumbent female effigy in Frosterly marble. Late C13 recumbent freestone effigy of a knight in armour with a shield showing 3 popinjays, possibly Marmaduke Fitz Galfrid of Horden. (1)

The church is known to contain a First World War memorial window (2-3).

Reference number:D35467
Historical period: Early Medieval (410 to 1066)
Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1231813

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Easington


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.