Keys to the Past

St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale (Dalton-le-Dale)

Church of St Andrew © DCC 2000
Church of St Andrew © DCC 2000

Photograph of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph of side of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph of side of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph of entrance of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph of entrance of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph of plaque at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph of plaque at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph of gate and walls at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph of gate and walls at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph above entrance of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph above entrance of St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Photograph to right of entrance to St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Photograph to right of entrance to St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Close up photograph at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016
Close up photograph at St. Andrew's Church, Dalton-le-Dale 2016

Church. Romanesque with mainly C13 features. Extensive restoration by C. Hodgson Fowler in 1907 when bellcote, porch and vestry were added. Snecked rubble. C20 Welsh slate roof. Aisleless nave and continuous chancel, south porch and north vestry. 2-bay chancel has pointed-arched priest's door and trefoiled low-side window in south wall; plate-tracery window in north wall to east of vestry and trefoiled low-side window to west. Buttressed east end with 3 stepped lancets in hollow-chamfered reveals. 4-bay nave has pilaster-buttressed bay divisions and tall lancets under hoodmoulds with trefoiled rear-arches. Sculptured fragments built into masonry include part of a Saxon cross-shaft and a C17 sundial. South door within porch is set in a roll-moulded pointed arch of 2 orders, shafts missing. North wall has chamfered plinth and a late Romanesque doorway of 3 orders with chevron and worn scalloped capitals, shafts missing. Single tall lancet in west end and bellcote above.

Interior: gutted and plastered. Panelled nave ceiling, shallow wagon roof to chancel; minimal wooden chancel screen. Recumbent alabaster effigy of Sir William Bowes, died 1420, in armour on decorated chest tomb, is now set against a 4-centred recess possibly for Easter sepulchre. Mutilated female effigy in front of low arch in north wall. Aumbry and trefoiled piscina in chancel south wall. Late medieval round font with floral border on replaced stem. Relief Roman numerals on north wall said to be remnants of a ray sundial.

The church is known to contain at least two features dedicated as war memorials (1-2).

Reference number:D35452
Historical period: Early Medieval (410 to 1066)
Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
20th Century (1901 to 2000)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1231690

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Dalton-le-Dale


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.