Keys to the Past

St. John's Church, Church Street, Shildon (Shildon)

Church of St John, Church Street, Shildon 2005
Church of St John, Church Street, Shildon 2005

Church of St John, Shildon 2005
Church of St John, Shildon 2005

Church of St John, - tower detail 2005
Church of St John, - tower detail 2005

Church of St John, - tower detail 2005
Church of St John, - tower detail 2005

Parish church. 1833-4 nave by Anthony Salvin; largely rebuilt and extended in 1881-2 by C. Hodgson Fowler who also rebuilt the tower 1891-1900. Dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs and green slate tower roof. Disengaged west tower; continuous aisled nave and chancel; north and south porches at west end Early English style with lancets under hoodmoulds.

3-stage west tower, defined by chamfered bands, has set-back buttresses. First stage has roll-moulded, pointed-arched doorway, on paired colonnettes, with 3 lancets above; north return has A.D. 1900 datestone. Second stage has circular clock faces and paired lancets to north return. Belfry has 3 louvred lancets, corbelled parapet and pyramidal roof. Flat, 2-stage stair turret to south return.

4-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. Buttressed aisles have paired lancets, sill string and continuous hoodmould. North aisle has blank east bay with pointed-arched vestry doorway to west. 2 eastern bays of south aisle contain organ chamber and Lady chapel. Roofs have coped gables. Single lancets of 1833 nave flank west tower. Low single-bay porches with monopitch roofs (in re-entrant angles between nave and aisles) have doorways with shouldered lintels under pointed arches. Triple-gabled east end. Projecting chancel has 3 stepped lancets. Sexfoil window in south aisle return. 2-light plate-tracery window to north aisle return.

Plain and plastered interior. Spacious nave and aisles. 4-bay north arcade has chamfered, pointed arches dying into octagonal piers. Similar 6-bay south arcade. Ceiled nave roof with braced tie beams. Aisle roofs have arch-braced tie-beams and collars. Raised sanctuary under depressed pointed arch. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit. (1)

The church and churchyard are known to contain a number of features dedicated as war memorials (2-3).

Reference number:D35186
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
20th Century (1901 to 2000)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1121498

To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.




See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Shildon


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.