Church of the Holy Trinity, Cornforth (Cornforth)
Parish church, 1867 by J.P. Pritchett. Polychrome brick with ashlar dressings; blue and green slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Gabled porch has double boarded doors, with elaborate hinges on roll-moulded surround with shafts with water-leaf capitals. Stone cross finial. Plate tracery in 2-light windows of 4-bay nave, with buttress between 2 eastern bays. Set-back chancel has 2 plainer windows, and large 3-light east window with plate tracery. All windows have recessed chamfered surrounds, and dark brick arches with dark impost string. Large 6-foil west window. Head-stopped dripmoulds to doors. Buttresses, gabled to chancel. Small alteration to north-east buttresses - insertion of pipe to allow clear sight-line from vestry to gates, for view of arrival of funerals, it is said. Some renewal of bricks at east. Roof steeply-pitched, with east gabled bellcote on nave; cross finials on gable copings.
Interior painted brick, with painted ashlar dressings; arch-braced roof on stone corbels; waggon roof in chancel. Roll-moulded chancel arch on square pilasters with elaborately-carved capitals to shafts. Head-stops to dripmould over vestry door; chamfered organ arch. All carving now painted in vivid colours. Star of David symbol of Trinity in west window by L.C. Evetts. Octagonal stone font with symbols of Evangelists carved in recessed panels. Elaborately-carved altar with painted relief panels in Gothic style. Reredos reconstituted and sculptures added to altar circa 1913 (brass plaque signed Herbert Wauthie del., F. Osborne and Co. London).
The church is known to contain a number of war memorial features, some of which were moved here in 1999 from the former Wesleyan Methodist Church which is now closed.
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1159322
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Cornforth
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.