St. Luke's Church, Church Lane, Ferryhill (Ferryhill)
Parish church. 1853 by G. Pickering; 1851 decision to replace 1820 chapel by Ignatius Bonomi. Coursed limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings and stone ridge. Nave with north porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Steeply-gabled porch has boarded door with elaborate hinges in deep moulded surround with head-stopped dripmould. 4-bay nave has lancets, paired in second- bay from east, and plate tracery in 2-light window in east bay on north, and in westernmost bay on south; cusped lancets in set-back chancel, stepped in east elevation, and tracery in west bay on south. High gabled west bellcote with central buttress. Coped buttresses in nave, gabled angle buttresses to chancel. Small stone turret at junction of vestry and chancel roofs.
Interior shows painted plaster above boarded dado; wall-posts (stone-corbelled, and longer between windows), support arch-braced collars with struts to principal rafters, and short king posts. Double-chamfered chancel arch, the inner on nail-head-patterned shafts on head corbels. Rerearches to chancel windows. 1952 west gallery with organ. Glass includes 1953 L.C. Evetts east windows. Gothic-style carved wood altar with symbols of Passion in front panels. Octagonal stone pedestal font with single blank shield, and wrought iron straps on wood cover. Roll-moulded squared ends on pews. South nave wall monument to members of Tiplady family, died 1789 and 1809: marble with pilasters and fret panel below cornice; transferred from earlier chapel.
Building contains a First World War memorial plaque associated with the rood screen close to the altar, and a commemorative WW2 stained glass window. (1-2).
|Historical period:||Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1121472
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Ferryhill
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.