Keys to the Past

St. Luke's Chapel (formerly Winterton Hospital Church), Sedgefield (Sedgefield)

Church of St Luke, Salter's Lane, Sedgefield © DCC 1999
Church of St Luke, Salter's Lane, Sedgefield © DCC 1999

Church of St Luke, Salter's Lane, Sedgefield © DCC 1999
Church of St Luke, Salter's Lane, Sedgefield © DCC 1999

Hospital church. 1884 by William Crozier Junior. Light-red engineering brick in English garden wall bond with some constructional, yellow-brick polychromy; sandstone dressings; Welsh slate roof. Early English style with lancets under hoodmoulds.

6-bay nave; aisles have brick sill string and stepped-buttressed bays each with 3 stepped lancets; similar clerestory has small, paired lancets under continuous hoodmould; steeply-pitched roof has crested ridge, coped gables and squat, gabled east bellcote. West end: single-storey, 5-bay narthex has taller, gabled central bay, with pointed-arched doorway and trefoil above, flanked by buttressed bays with paired and single lancets. Nave has 3 stepped lancets with single, flanking lancets and clasping, gableted buttresses with pinnacles; aisle returns have 2-light plate-tracery windows.

Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with gabled vestry and 2-bay organ chamber. Apsidal east end with sill string, 5 lancets under continuous hoodmould, dentilled brick eaves band and steeply-pitched roof. East return of organ chamber has paired lancets with cinquefoil above.

Interior has restrained polychromy. Nave arcades have 6 double-chamfered, pointed arches on Greek-cross-plan piers with attached corner colonettes; 6 scissor-braced trusses on corbels. 3 steps up to chancel with encaustic-tiled floor and brass gas lamps on walls. Semi-octagonal stone pulpit with pink marble colonettes.

The chapel once contained a number of war memorial plaques that were originally in the buildings of Winterton Hospital - they were all removed from the chapel in 2002 and transferred to Durham Hospital. A WW2 memorial cross is located in the churchyard off the western end of the chapel.

Reference number:D34624
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1121490



See also:
Source of Reference
Local History of Sedgefield


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.