St. Mary Magdalene's Church, The Green, Trimdon Village (Trimdon)
Parish church. Norman and later medieval; C19 alterations including 1873-4 north aisle by W. and J. Hay of Liverpool. 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch; 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Sandstone rubble, with partial boulder plinth, quoins and ashlar dressings; some brick at ground level at east end; Welsh slate roof. Gabled porch has slightly-chamfered round-headed arch to boarded door. 2-light nave windows under relieving arches have been inserted to replace sash windows, of which straight joints are evidence. Lower chancel has low-side window with hollow chamfer and round arch; 2 trefoil-headed C19 lights flanking priest's door in 2-centred arch; 3-light east window with tracery. West elevation has central buttress with offsets rising to simple gable bellcote; single window in west end of aisle. Roof on raised eaves, south elevation showing offset at original eaves level. Cruciform angelus finial; iron cross chancel finial. Catslide roof on aisle.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings. Arch-braced roof on roll-moulded stone corbels, some on south medieval; all rafters collared, with blocking panels above collars of principals; one large purlin, slightly trenched. Depressed round-headed chancel arch, now elliptical, on imposts and chamfered square shafts, the north with broach stops. Arcade of roll-moulded 2-centred arches on round piers with moulded caps and plinths. South wall battered. Rerearches, all deeply splayed. C19 octagonal pedestal font on round shaft with stiff-leaf capital. Boarded pine pews with shaped ends. Glass mostly plain, with some coloured quarries; low-side window has 1873 medallion glass, gift of church warden. Monuments include small brass in south chancel wall, with well-cut inscription 'Quam vixit erga cognatos pius et officiosus - Hocce aes testetur' to Bryan Lencester (sic), died 1759 aged 48, with 'H.S.J.' at head. Eroded stone memorial in chancel floor. (1)
The church is known to contain a number of features dedicated as war memorials (2-3).
|Historical period:||Georgian (1714 to 1830)
Victorian (1837 to 1901)
Second World War (1939 to 1945)
Medieval (1066 to 1540)
|Legal status:||Listed Building|
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1121451
To find out more about a particular site, please click the Identify button (i) on the toolbar, then click the site on the map.
The Historic maps option is only available when the map scale is between 2500 and 10000.
Source of Reference
Local History of Trimdon
Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.