Keys to the Past

Church of St. Aidan, Laburnum Street, Blackhill (Blackhill)

Church of St. Aidan 2007
Church of St. Aidan 2007

Church of St Aiden 2007
Church of St Aiden 2007

Side view of Church, April 2016 2016
Side view of Church, April 2016 2016

Tower and door, April 2016 2017
Tower and door, April 2016 2017

Wall and railings 2017
Wall and railings 2017

Church and tower, April 2016 2017
Church and tower, April 2016 2017

Church from outside railings, April 2016 2017
Church from outside railings, April 2016 2017

Tower, April 2016 2017
Tower, April 2016 2017

Long-shot of the Front of Church of St. Aidan, Dec 2016 2016
Long-shot of the Front of Church of St. Aidan, Dec 2016 2016

Front of Church of St. Aidan, Dec 2016 2016
Front of Church of St. Aidan, Dec 2016 2016

Door of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016
Door of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016

Windows of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016
Windows of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016

Windows of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016
Windows of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016

Close-up of Window, of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016
Close-up of Window, of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016

Front of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016
Front of Church of St. Aidan, December 2016 2016

1885 by Oliver and Leeson, on site given by Consett Iron Company; tower added and dated 1903 on panel in porch. Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south-west tower porch; transepts; chancel with north organ loft and south vestry. Early English style. 2-stage tower has boarded double door in chamfered 2-centred arch with dripmould; paired cusped, 2-light belfry openings with tracery have drip moulds and are in panels under corbel tables; broach spire has large lucarnes. Lancet windows,4 stepped in west front over 4 small cusped lights; plate-tracery 3-light east window under vesica; transepts have paired rectangular lights in paired gables. Blocked north-west door. Buttresses to transepts, nave and west end. Steeply-pitched roofs, slightly lower on chancel, with decorative ridge tiles and stone cross finials. Slender central fleche with glazed lantern. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; panelled chancel; arch-braced roof has collared laminated trusses on stone corbels; painted panelled roof in chancel, with symbols of Trinity and Gothic decoration. Paired double-chamfered 2-centred transept arches on corbels and round columns with nail-head. Similar high chancel arch on moulded corbels. Chamfered rerearches and organ arch; continuous sill string, stepped to east wall of south transept and continuing as drip over opening to vestry. Shouldered arch to vestry from chancel. Rood screen, chancel panelling and reredos dated 1935. Stone steps and pedestal to Gothic wood pulpit. Square stone font on stone pedestal and 4 granite shafts. Early C20 glass, in memory of first vicar and of John Seymour Lee; other windows probably original clear and tinted glass in simple geometrical leading. Brass plaque in blocked north-west door commemorates founding of parish in 1884 and laying of foundation stone in 1885. The church used to contain a plaque dedicated to the memory a soldier killed in the First World War (now in the Durham Diocesan Office) (1).

Reference number:D35927
Historical period: Post Medieval (1540 to 1901)
Victorian (1837 to 1901)
First World War (1914 to 1918)
Edwardian (1902 to 1910)
21st Century (2001 to 2100)
Legal status:Listed Building
  • National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1260991



See also:
Source of Reference


Disclaimer -

Please note that this information has been compiled from a number of different sources. Durham County Council and Northumberland County Council can accept no responsibility for any inaccuracy contained therein. If you wish to use/copy any of the images, please ensure that you read the Copyright information provided.